Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Bedtime Stories

When Rebecca moved to Florida to live with me in May 1999 after graduating from law school, she jumped pretty quickly into studying for the Florida Bar exam. At night, she had difficulties falling asleep as she had so much going through her head so I started reading books to her to better allow her to fall asleep. I think the first book we read was the first Harry Potter. We have continued this practice of my reading to her each night (when I am not traveling) and have read numerous books, including the entire Harry Potter series, the Chronicles of Narnia and scores of other books, with the last one being Catcher in the Rye (which might be the worst book I have ever read).
This allows us a little down time together at the end of the night as we are both often doing our own things for the final few hours of the day after the kids go down and Rebecca and I both enjoy it. The only problem is she can't tell me when she falls asleep so I often read several pages before realizing she is asleep. And then have to reread those pages the next night...

Any suggestions for good books to read?

3 comments:

  1. Now this is so stinking cute that I really can't get over it.

    I just read a book that I loved, called Olive Kittredge.

    I wonder if I can get Miles to read to me? We would have the reverse problem: I would be sitting up, rapt with attention, and he would fall asleep while reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...that is often a problem as I usually fall asleep when my head hits the pillow. Sometimes I limit it to one chapter or a predefined number of pages and then leave Rebecca as wide awake, if not more than, before

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been one of the greatest things for my sleep habits! Thanks Miles!

    ReplyDelete